Saturday, December 4, 2010

Perspective

Anyone who has a young child has probably seen the Pixar film Ratatouille at least once. (If you haven't, it's worth checking out.)

In the movie, there is this one scene where Anton Ego, any restaurateur's feared food critic, is seated in Gusteau's after the main (human) character learns he is the rightful heir to it and says,
"You know what I'm craving?
A little perspective.
That's it.
I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective.
Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?"

Obviously, I'm taking this quote entirely out of context. I've been thinking back to this soundbite over and over as we come up and over the holidays this year. It's always rife with family drama and headaches. What holiday is complete without them? There will always be one family member unhappy with another for some reason or another. Whether you take sides, play Nordic or ignore it altogether is all part of the grand design of these drawn out, often painful and uncomfortable situations.

Here's what I think (just me - I don't speak for my better half):

WHAT is driven by WHY.
WHO is driven by WHAT.
WHERE is driven by WHO.
HOW is driven by WHY.
WHEN is driven WHO
WHY will always be a mystery.

That's two WHOs that don't give two hoots about
WHY WHAT is WHERE WHEN or HOW.

I'm not sure if what I just said makes any sense to you but it did at the time I was writing it. You get my bigger point here, right?

Life is not just black and white.
Let it go.
Crave perspective.

No comments: